Welcome to Dhruv’s Musings!
As soon as I was born: I responded to my mom’s call with my first cry and smile. As soon as, my daddy uttered my name, I opened my eyes, looked at him (It was a blurred image as it will take maximum of 90 days to have a clear vision) and smiled. I was able to recognise my mom’s and dad’s voice. I sneezed in a few minutes time. I was breastfeed in the first one hour of my birth. The skin-to-skin contact helped me gel with my mom and feel the warmth. I was able to smell and taste colostrum (milk). In the next few hours, I passed urine and meconium (new born faeces – will be dark black and sticky). The poo’s colour is expected to change from black to brown to green to orange and yellow. Mine was black, green and yellow for the first few days.
I weighed 3 Kilos and 600 grams. Anything more than 3 Kgs is a good sign for baby’s health. My blood sample was taken to determine my blood group. I was also given Hep B1 vaccine on day one. The pain was unbearable, but I obeyed my daddy’s words. I stopped crying soon after he requested me never to cry. I had a good sleep on day one. I almost slept close to six hours.
In short the following are the things to be noted on day one.
- First cry
- First sneeze
- First hiccups
- First breastfeed
- First urine
- First poo
- Good sleep
- Blood group
- Recognise voice
- Smell and taste
- Recommended vaccines
- Top to Toe Baby Wash is preferred more than Baby Shampoo or Baby Soap for Baby’s skin: Johnson’s Top to Toe Baby Wash (500ml) with Free Baby Lotion (100ml).
- Baby Wipes is much needed. It’ll clean nicely, which is much needed for Baby. In case of skin rash, use coconut oil: Johnson’s Baby Skincare Wipes, 2*80 cloth wipes.
- Diapers keeps baby dry. It is preferred for night use and travel. Choose the one that suits baby need: MamyPoko Small Size Pants.
- Quick Dry is mandatory. Avoid using diaper 24 x 7. Use soft clothes instead. Cut a soft saree or dhoti in to square pieces, overlock the clothes corners and use it. In the next post, I will show how to tie it around the waist.
- Mother’s bra helps feeding easy. A good pair of bra and mother nighties are mandatory.
Enjoy babyhood and parenthood!